JAMES A. BONHEUR, MD, DABSDr. James Bonheur has leveraged his expertise in minimally-invasive vein treatment techniques to become a leading phlebologist (vein doctor or vein specialist) in the Stamford, Greenwich, Norwalk and Bridgeport, CT area. Dr. Bonheur was listed amongst America’s Top Surgeons in 2008 in the field of General Surgery/Bariatrics. He is fluent in both English and Spanish and has a working knowledge of French. Dr. Bonheur received his education at Adelphi University in Garden City, NY and his medical degree from SABA University School of Medicine (Netherlands-Antilles). He subsequently performed residencies at both Stamford Hospital (Stamford, CT) and Boston University Medical Center, later serving as chief resident at Stamford. Beyond this he has received specialty training as a fellow at Boston University (surgical research), Massachusetts General Hospital (vascular research) and Danbury Hospital (laparo-endoscopic & bariatric surgery). Dr. Bonheur is board-certified by the American Board of Surgery and a member of numerous professional societies including the American College of Phlebology (vein doctor specialty), the American College of Surgeons, the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, and the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons.
Some of Dr. Bonheur’s awards include:
- Patient’s Choice Award, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Top Surgeon in the field of Minimally Invasive Surgery 2007- 2013
- Top Surgeon in the field of Bariatric Surgery, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013
- Top Surgeon in the field of Venous disease, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013
- Connecticut Magazine Top Doc’s* Field of Bariatric surgery 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Most Compassionate Physician Award 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Best of Stamford Award in the Doctors category 2012, 2013, 2014
- Fairfield County’s Finest Award 2013
- Vitals Top 10 Doctor Award – Surgery 2014
Request a Consultation
As we all prepare to take on this invisible threat, our team our AMI has been working diligently to make sure you have access to surgical care. Through Tele-Surgery, we are prepared to continue our patient visits and consultations using a secure HIPPA compliant web-based media platform. All our surgeons and physician assistants will be able to connect directly with you, face to face, to discuss and review any concerns you may have. If you need to be seen, this can be discussed through our Tele-Surgery platform and a one-one visit can be arranged in the office within 24-48hr period.